I’m obsessed with tacos – not just because I live in Texas, but because they’re all pretty “Damn Good” – Torchy’s. I’m also slightly obsessed with making not-so-healthy meals into healthy works of art. That being said, I created the “Vaco”. Simply put, it’s a vegan taco with all the same spicy and queso-y goodness.
Pro tip: If you’re not a vegan, which you’re not – sub chickpeas with some chicken or fish – spice the same, and sleep well knowing you were still much healthier today than you were last night.
- 1 package of your favorite corn or almond flour tortillas
- 1 can of drained and washed chickpeas (or fresh, up to you)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder + cumin + turmeric + Mediterranean sea salt
- 1/4 tbsp cayenne + chili flakes (I like it spicy)
- a couple cracks of black pepper
- 2 baby avocados
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 chopped jalapeño
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- see VEGAN QUESO recipe for added queso option
*keep in mind, you can spice this however you like – I personally use all the spices I prefer but dependent on your taste buds you can add a dash, splash, and pinch of just about anything until it tastes on point.
Sauté chickpeas in saucepan with olive oil and half of each serving of spice until tender (about 5 minutes on medium heat).
Mash avocados, the remainder of the spices, jalapeño, squeezed lime and half the cilantro in mixing bowl until smooth (or desired consistency). Give it a taste and add more salt accordingly – this is obviously guacamole.
Set oven to 250F and warm tortillas on each side for 30 seconds.
Layer the tortilla starting with the chickpeas and guac. Spoon halved tomatoes and a dollop of queso to follow. Finish with a sprinkle of onion and cilantro to top it off – add a dash of chili powder if desired.
Voila – vegan AF.