I f*cking love spice. I over-spice everything and my parents can’t deal. I’m a firm believer in, “if it doesn’t make you sweat, it’s not hot enough” – that being said, I also enjoy a good meal that doesn’t require a tissue so I always have 8 spices handy to spice up my life that other people can also tolerate.
Known fact: “Population-based data indicate that some extremely common cancers in the Western world are much less prevalent in regions where turmeric is widely consumed in the diet.”
& for you health freaks like me, learn how certain spices can reduce the risk of common cancers and other disease with regular consumption. The health benefits of spices and super-foods are extraordinary and that’s something everyone should be well aware of.
For some light reading – click hur
So here for you tonight, I’ve listed my 8 favorite spices, what they’re good for, and what they go well with – don’t sweat it.
- Cinnamon: A crowd favorite, American staple, and well known addition to anything sweet – spice up your pancakes, cookies, smoothies or coffee for that forever fall state of mind – good for lowering blood sugar levels and reducing risk of heart disease, this sucker should be sprinkled on everythang.
- Allspice: Another staple that can be put in everything sweet, allspice is an all encompassing agent perfect for breads, pastries, sweet potatoes and more that also acts as a natural pain reliever, immunity boost and circulation aid.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic is especially known for it’s immunity boosting properties and cold kicking power. Although it seeps through pores like a MF, it’s benefit much outweighs it’s smell. Mashed potatoes, grilled/roasted veggies, soups, tacos, you name it – garlic belongs within you.
- Turmeric: If it’s not on your radar yet, get with it. Turmeric is LIT. Anti-inflammatory, pain killing, gastro treating, cholesterol regulating, cancer fighting – I could go on- put this shit on EVERYTHING because it’s quite literally saving your life.
- Cayenne Pepper: The spice of all spices, get lit with it’s fire flavor because a little goes a long way. Perfect on roasted veggies, fish, meats and even a few sweet treats, this spice is a natural way to keep your blood thin, fight colds and remove toxins from your semi-alcoholic system. It’s great for you.
- Curry Powder: Having a bad rap is never fun, especially when “don’t knock it ’til you try it” heavily applies. Curry won’t make you smell – unless you decide to roll around in it and not bathe for a week, you’ll be fine. Between it’s cancer protection, Alzheimers reduction, and anti-inflammatory properties, you truly can’t go wrong. It clearly goes well with a good chicken dish but try roasting it on veggies and baking it on fish as well, the flavors might surprise you.
- Saffron: Uncommon in many kitchens due to it’s hefty cost, saffron is the secret weapon most people don’t know about. Crucial for cell repair, blood cell production and weight-loss/diet control, buy this sucker and sprinkle it on as much as you can – you can barely taste it anyways. (Goes great in soups).
- Matcha: Not as much of a spice as it a super-food, matchas medicinal properties are unreal. Let me just word vomit real quick – loaded with antioxidants, boosts memory and concentration, BURNS CALORIES, detoxifies the body, supports immune system, and honesty just tastes pretty damn good. Mix a tsp in a small glass of water, add to a blender with a cup of almond milk, a splash of vanilla, pinch of cinnamon, and a drizzle of maple and you’ve got yourself a new morning treat.
Go nuts, don’t measure.