So I’ve been on one lately with the whole vegan thing and more than a few friends of mine think I’ve completely lost it -but sometimes making the same ole food gets pretty boring and I like to spice things up a bit – or make them healthier – same thing.
I made this BOMB vegan queso today and it’s too good not to share, especially for you dairy intolerant friends of mine who can quite literally die at the sight of milk.
CASHEWS are lifesavers when it comes to all things dairy replacement people, so get well acquainted. This recipe was super fun to whip up, so feel free to get a little weird with it and spice it up just the way you like!
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews (soak for at least 2 hours in warm water and drain)
- 1 cup filtered water (use as little or as much for desired consistency, I like mine slim-thick (lol) so I put a little more water than usual)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast (can use more for cheesy-er taste)
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped jalapeño
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves (more or less dependent on your level of tolerance)
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional – half the world hates cilantro)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper + salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder + cumin + turmeric
- 1-2 tsp of chili powder
*keep in mind, you can spice this however you like – I personally used all the spices I prefer but dependent on your taste buds you can add a dash, splash, and pinch of just about anything until it tastes on point.
Add soaked and drained cashews to a blender with water and blend until desired consistency.
Pour mixture into simmering pot and add all chopped ingredients + nutritional yeast and stir until mixed evenly.
Mix in all remaining spices and stir until smooth.
Give it a taste and add more spice/more water to get the perfect flavor and consistency.
Serve hot, fresh out the pot and lick the spoon, this shit is good!